Good morning Year Two! Today we are going to continue practising subtraction word problems. You can use our number line strategy or any other strategy that works for you!
Let’s work this one out together:
Remember the steps for our number line strategy:
- Step 1: Write the number sentence
- Step 2: Circle the operation (the – symbol)
- Step 3: Draw your numberline using a ruler
- Step 4: Put your biggest number at the END of your numberline.
- Step 5: Partition the smaller number into tens and ones
- Step 6: Draw your big ‘ten’ jumps on the numberline counting backwards in 10s.
- Step 7: Draw your little ‘one’ jumps on your numberline counting backwards in 1’s.
- Step 8: Circle the number you end on to find the answer.
Now it’s your turn! Solve these subtraction word problems using the number line strategy or another strategy of your choice (you could use objects around the house to help you check your answers too).
Challenge: Create your own subtraction word problems and use your number line strategy to solve them!