Good morning Year Two! Today we are going to be solving addition word problems! You can use any strategy that works for you to solve these problems (e.g. a number line, using objects from your house or the dienes strategy).
Let’s solve the first one together using our dienes strategy that we have learnt in school:
Steps for using the dienes strategy:
- Step 1: Write the number sentence and circle the operation (the + symbol)
- Step 2: Draw your Tens (T’s) and Ones (O’s) above the numbers.
- Step 3: Draw dienes to partition the numbers into tens (long sticks) and ones (dots).
- Step 4: Add the tens first and then the ones together.
- Step 7: Write down your answer.
Now it’s your turn! Solve the following addition word problems:
Challenge: Create your own addition word problems and solve them using any strategy of your choice!