Happy Friday Year Two! I Hope you’ve all had a great week and have been practising your word problems. Today we are going to be solving both addition AND subtraction word problems. Remember the strategies we have learnt in class to help you solve them!
Let’s solve this word problem together:
Steps to solve an addition word problem:
- Step 1: Write the number sentence and circle the operation
- Step 2: Write your Tens (T’s) and Ones (O’s) above the numbers.
- Step 3: Draw your dienes to partition the numbers into tens (long sticks) and ones (dots).
- Step 4: Add the tens and the ones together to find your answer.
- Step 7: Write down your answer.
Let’s solve another one together:
Steps to solve a subtraction word problem:
- Step 1: Write the number sentence
- Step 2: Circle the operation (the – symbol)
- Step 3: Draw your numberline using a ruler
- Step 4: Put your biggest number at the END of your numberline.
- Step 5: Partition the smaller number into tens (T’s) and ones (O’s)
- Step 6: Draw your big ‘ten’ jumps on the numberline counting backwards in 10s.
- Step 7: Draw your little ‘one’ jumps on your numberline counting backwards in 1’s.
- Step 8: Circle the number you end on to find the answer.
Challenge: Create your own subtraction and addition word problems using different strategies to solve them!